Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: SFV Creator for Directory

  1. #1

    SFV Creator for Directory

    Well, I'm looking for a program to create an .sfv for all the files in a directory, but create just a single .sfv file.

    About a decade ago I recall using one, which I think was called Easy SFV Creator and apparently from Brad Smith.

    So, I went hunting for it, and found it on this site:
    http://brad-smith-easy-sfv-creator.s...ormer.com/2.7/

    Honestly, I don't trust it.

    So my question is twofold. Anyone here has a program to recommend that might provide me with the feature I want. And secondly, if anyone uses this Brad Smith Easy SFV Creator is there a more trustworthy site to download it from or such?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Vampiric Minion Kraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,712
    If memory serves, I used to use a program called QuickSFV for the purpose. Worked okay. It has been a while, so I'm not 100% sure it was that.

    However, I came to find separate .sfv files a nuisance. All fansubbers include the crc32 in the file name and I can't say an extra file would be all too optimal, especially if you happened to move individual files, not always the whole directory containing the .sfv. So, I coded my own program that calculates a file's crc32, checks if the file name contains a string that looks like a crc32, and if it does, it checks if the freshly calculated one is the same as the one in the file name. If it matches, everything's alright. If it's a mismatch, the programs tells you so and gives an option to replace the old crc32 with the new. If there's no crc32 in the file name (like for example Horriblesubs' releases) the program can add it automatically to the end of the file name. As an added bonus the program allows you to replace spaces with underscores (or whatever symbol of your choosing), so that all files in the directory look similar. You can also force a renaming for the same purpose, as by default it won't rename files with a correct crc32. You can also set the type of symbols the crc32 is contained within, such as the default square brackets. The program allows a regular open file dialog or simply drag and drop, including a whole directory (although it doesn't support recursion, so directories within directories aren't scanned infinitely). Renaming requires a separate button click, so you don't rename anything by mistake but can check the preview list first, deselecting or selecting individual files if necessary.

    Uh, that's enough of boasting, I suppose.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    If memory serves, I used to use a program called QuickSFV for the purpose. Worked okay. It has been a while, so I'm not 100% sure it was that.

    However, I came to find separate .sfv files a nuisance. All fansubbers include the crc32 in the file name and I can't say an extra file would be all too optimal, especially if you happened to move individual files, not always the whole directory containing the .sfv. So, I coded my own program that calculates a file's crc32, checks if the file name contains a string that looks like a crc32, and if it does, it checks if the freshly calculated one is the same as the one in the file name. If it matches, everything's alright. If it's a mismatch, the programs tells you so and gives an option to replace the old crc32 with the new. If there's no crc32 in the file name (like for example Horriblesubs' releases) the program can add it automatically to the end of the file name. As an added bonus the program allows you to replace spaces with underscores (or whatever symbol of your choosing), so that all files in the directory look similar. You can also force a renaming for the same purpose, as by default it won't rename files with a correct crc32. You can also set the type of symbols the crc32 is contained within, such as the default square brackets. The program allows a regular open file dialog or simply drag and drop, including a whole directory (although it doesn't support recursion, so directories within directories aren't scanned infinitely). Renaming requires a separate button click, so you don't rename anything by mistake but can check the preview list first, deselecting or selecting individual files if necessary.

    Uh, that's enough of boasting, I suppose.
    Already have QuickSFV, the only thing it has managed for me is creating a SFV file for each file.

    The purpose of having a single SFV isn't to have a CRC in the filename, but to recheck easily that directory in the future to check for corruption.

    If I recall that program I mentioned created the single SFV file for the directory, but it could also analyze the full directory against that .SFV to see if the integrity remains.

    That's the main purpose, I want to go through all my archived anime, first make sure that everything is uncorrupt, create the SFV for that directory, and then leave the single SFV file to recheck later if desired.

    Is your program Windows based?

  4. #4
    Vampiric Minion Kraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,712
    My program requires that you drag'n'drop the folder on it. Then it goes through all the files in the folder, marking them in the list as OK or MISMATCH if the crc in the file name matches the calculated one or doesn't. If there's no crc in the file name, it allows adding it automatically (which means that once a season has ended, I can add the crc32 to all the Horriblesubs releases with zero work, and if I downloaded episodes from different bots, the space/underscore differences will also be fixed). So, it does everything necessary, but without the extra file in the folder. In the first place, when you download anime, it never comes with that .sfv file, unless some third party packed the whole season together and decided to add an .sfv in the archive, instead of the crcs in the files names like all fansubbers do. I don't recall ever seeing such an anime series torrent.

    However, if you want the single, gigantic .sfv to contain the crc32s for all of your series in their myriad subdirectories, then my program likely wouldn't replace it. It's best used one folder at a time. Or a bunch of files directly, naturally. I wouldn't even want to check my whole archive all at once. Reading from an HDD is surprisingly slow. Checking one series or just individual files is far better.

    The program is Windows based, but it requires you have the .net framework installed (chances are you already do). My checker requires no installation, but when launched for the first time, it will create a folder in your user profile's roaming directory to save the settings. It doesn't touch the registry. "Uninstallation" would thus require deleting the program folder (containing the exe) and going to the Appdata/Roaming and removing the settings folder.

    I can send you a copy, but I'm currently out of town and will only be back home on monday, or so, so it would need to wait until then. I don't have the thing on my laptop. If you are interested, it's easy enough to see it for yourself if it's something usable or not. I'm immensely satisfied with it myself. I won't go back to sfvs, that's for sure.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    My program requires that you drag'n'drop the folder on it. Then it goes through all the files in the folder, marking them in the list as OK or MISMATCH if the crc in the file name matches the calculated one or doesn't. If there's no crc in the file name, it allows adding it automatically (which means that once a season has ended, I can add the crc32 to all the Horriblesubs releases with zero work, and if I downloaded episodes from different bots, the space/underscore differences will also be fixed). So, it does everything necessary, but without the extra file in the folder. In the first place, when you download anime, it never comes with that .sfv file, unless some third party packed the whole season together and decided to add an .sfv in the archive, instead of the crcs in the files names like all fansubbers do. I don't recall ever seeing such an anime series torrent.

    However, if you want the single, gigantic .sfv to contain the crc32s for all of your series in their myriad subdirectories, then my program likely wouldn't replace it. It's best used one folder at a time. Or a bunch of files directly, naturally. I wouldn't even want to check my whole archive all at once. Reading from an HDD is surprisingly slow. Checking one series or just individual files is far better.

    The program is Windows based, but it requires you have the .net framework installed (chances are you already do). My checker requires no installation, but when launched for the first time, it will create a folder in your user profile's roaming directory to save the settings. It doesn't touch the registry. "Uninstallation" would thus require deleting the program folder (containing the exe) and going to the Appdata/Roaming and removing the settings folder.

    I can send you a copy, but I'm currently out of town and will only be back home on monday, or so, so it would need to wait until then. I don't have the thing on my laptop. If you are interested, it's easy enough to see it for yourself if it's something usable or not. I'm immensely satisfied with it myself. I won't go back to sfvs, that's for sure.
    This program should work for my needs. I just need a way to check directories for integrity, and by the looks of it it should serve my purposes even better.

    So yes, I'll be interested in it.

  6. #6
    Vampiric Minion Kraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    This program should work for my needs. I just need a way to check directories for integrity, and by the looks of it it should serve my purposes even better.

    So yes, I'll be interested in it.
    Alright. Once I get back home in a few days, I'll recompile a version for you that says: "Licensed to Bud".

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Alright. Once I get back home in a few days, I'll recompile a version for you that says: "Licensed to Bud".
    Thanks, feel free to PM the link if you don't want it publicized and what not

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •